Here is the official post for the Thanksgiving virtual 5K. I will be doing a Thanksgiving virtual 5K, a Christmas virtual 5K and a New Years virtual 5K to help all of us stay motivated during the Holiday season.
Thanksgiving is only a couple weeks away (how did that happen) and we need to get this show on the road. If you participated in my Holiday virtual races last year, it will go basically the same as before. For those of you that this is your first year, I’ll fill you in with the details.
[Before I get down to the nitty gritty of it all, I just want to point out & remind everyone that it’s not just a running 5K. You can participate any way you want to, as long as you get 3.1 miles in. So, that being said you can WALK, SWIM, BIKE, DANCE, STAIR CLIMB, ROCK CLIMB, SKI, ELLIPTICAL, ROW, SNOW BOARD, HIKE…the list goes on & on. I’m just trying to encourage PHYSICAL FITNESS on the holidays!!!]
That being said, here are the details (same as last year):
WHAT: The Thanksgiving 5K - a virtual race of running, biking, walking, swimming, rowing, elliptically, or whatever you want to do that gets you at least a 5K [3.1 miles], you can do more if you want!
WHEN: Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, November 22th)
WHERE: You choose. It’s a virtual race, so the race is where you want to run it, bike it, swim it, walk it, etc!
WHO: Anyone and everyone can participate, but US residents only are eligible for the prizes.
WHY: To stay active, even on the Holidays, especially the ones dedicated to eating a ton of food…and for a few PRIZES of course!!
HOW: Here is how it’s gonna go down…
- you don’t have to sign up or “register” for any of these Holiday races BUT you do have to be a Google Connect Follower of this blog [click JOIN THIS SITE button on the right sidebar]
- you just have to print off the “bib” [FOUND HERE or at the bottom of this post] and take a picture of yourself either with the bib or actually doing the 5k (again, you can walk, run, bike, swim, elliptical, stair climb it, or whatever!).
- The 5k has to be done ON THANKSGIVING DAY (in the words of NIKE, “Just Do It”)
- Once you have completed the race, you need to LINK your picture, of you with your bib, on the Race Finishing Page I’ll post on my blog (link it by 6am MST on November 26th) – you can link up the picture & your race report from your blog or facebook (if you have one!)
- If you don’t have a blog, facebook, or any other internet social page…you can still “finish” the 5K. You can upload the picture straight from your computer.
If this is a tad confusing, don’t worry, it always makes more sense when you actually do it. Just do the 5k on the holiday**, take a picture, blog it, facebook it or upload it, then come back to my blog to link it (that is you crossing the finish line!). Super easy, I PROMISE!
Each person is entered once to win the prizes (see below) when they submit their picture on the finish line post. There will only be one winner, so if you want extra entries here is what you can do…
1. Spread the word about this virtual race. Blog it, Facebook it, Tweet it, Pin it, etc. Let me know in a comment what you did. **whoever has the most link backs gets another entry**
2. Run this 5K in a TURKEY costume (proof will be in the picture)!
**PRIZES FOR THE THANKSGIVING VIRTUAL 5K - 2012**
The THANKSGIVING VIRTUAL 5K winner will be chosen on November 26th & will receive the following prizes (special thanks to these race sponsors for donating their products – $50+ value):
** Check out their sites, facebook pages, pinterests, & twitter! **
Anyone can participate, but US residents only are eligible for prizes.
1. A tank top of your choice from SignatureShirts
Who doesn’t love a good racerback tank, especially one with awesome motivation!
2. $30 gift card to Words to Sweat by
(Those are the sponsors so far, I’ll post an update if and
when there are more prizes for the Thanksgiving Virtual 5K!!)
and PRINT YOUR RACE BIB!